In this livestream conversation, Adam Storm, an engineering director from Cockroach Labs, explains how the new simple multi-region database deployment works using primarily one command: ALTER DATABASE SURVIVE REGION FAILURE.
There is a hands-on keyboard demo of how to set up a multi-region database and there is also a long conversation about why multi-region database deployments are so important now and why they've been difficult in the past.
- 00:00 Multi-Region Database Capabilities Introductions
- 10:10 (Conversation Starts) How to grok the physical nature of data
- 10:50 What challenges you solve with Multi-Region Applications
- 15:35 Multi-Region helps latency
- 20:20 What you can achieve with distributed architecture?
- 22:15 The complexity of Distributed Systems
- 25:04 What did CockroachDB build for Multi-Region Applications?
- 30:44 [DEMO STARTS] Multi-Region Database Deployment Demo
- 38:20 How to optimize your database for surviving region failure
- 40:09 How to optimize your database for low latency
- 46:43 In CockroachDB you do online schema changes
- 50:00 What's next for CockroachDB: Making regulatory compliance easier
Want to try out these Multi-Region features? https://www.cockroachlabs.com/get-started-cockroachdb/
More Multi-Region Content: