In our first episode of The Cockroach Hour, Jim Walker (Cockroach Labs, CoreOS) and Keith McClellan (Cockroach Labs, DataStax, Mesosphere) talk through some of the challenges of running a database in Kubernetes; operators and databases; the problem with casual consistency.
This episode includes:
- 00:00 Introductions
- 4:51 The difference between Mesosphere and Kubernetes
- 13:27 How storage works in Kubernetes
- 14:30 Persistent volumes in Kubernetes
- 17:40 If a pod fails when does garbage collection happen in Kubernetes?
- 18:40 Mount Storage vs Local Storage in Kubernetes
- 20:20 What is a StatefulSet in Kubernetes?
- 23:29 The difference between a Daemonset and a StatefulSet
- 25:35 Can you use daemonsets with CockroachDB
- 28:07 What developers need to know about statefulsets
- 32:05 What is a kubernetes operator